BOOK REVIEWS: Filthy Vol. 1-3 by Megan D. Martin

01 November 2014


Filthy is a dark erotic serial novel that will release monthly in segments of around 50 pages each. This book is not for those who like a traditional heroine. Faye and Rhett's story is dark, complicated, and twisted with themes that are not acceptable to all readers. Read at your own risk.


Filthy
by Megan D. Martin
Genre(s): Dark Romance, Erotica, Contemporary
Date Published: August 4, 2014
Amazon (FREE) | Barnes & Noble (FREE)
My Rating:

Faye Turner is a nineteen-year-old homeless prostitute addicted to cocaine.

Her life is simple, bouncing from one high to the next, bent over greasy truck seats for faceless men. But everything changes when Rhett Hale comes back into her life. Her devilishly handsome step-brother brings life-changing news and a special kind of hate reserved only for Faye. But all the hate in the world can’t hide Rhett’s lust for her.

He wants something wild. Something filthy.

And Faye is tempted to give him just that.

Date Published: September 1, 2014
Amazon (FREE) | Barnes & Noble (FREE)
My Rating:

Faye Turner’s nose itches for another bump of cocaine and her body burns for the man she can’t have—Rhett Hale, her step-brother. He is completely different than the guy she fell for four years ago—the guy who turned her down. Now he’s a clean cut stranger with eyes that burn with a constant war of lust and hate. 

But he isn’t the only one with eyes for Faye. 

Someone else is back from her old life… And Faye finds herself falling further into the past she tried to forget.


Date Published: October 6, 2014
Amazon | Barnes & Noble
My Rating:

Faye thought she could run from the past. 
Again.

She thought she could go back to the seedy life. The one where men pay for her body and she snorts cheap coke off the back of her dirty hand. 
But the past has found her. 

Again.

The past with green eyes full of hate and lust.
And this time he plans to keep her.



I've never really been fond of books that feature dark romance, especially with high explicit content with controversial situations such as drug abuse and incestuous relatinships, but when my blogger friend, Tika from Fangirl Confessions, recommended this book to me, I was instantly hooked. And not to mention, the covers are beyond beautiful and sexy as hell. 

Men were a slave to that erotic feeling that made the world disappear.

The hands pin her down
She'll never get away
The rocks slive her flesh
She'll always feel the pain
The lips take her mouth
She'll never see the day
The darkness swallows her whole
She'll never be the same

At the beginning, Faye is picked up from the streets by her step brother, Rhett, because their mother had recently passed away. However, Faye is fixated on her hatred towards her mother -- the whole family, in fact -- but then again, according to Rhett, the least she could do was attend the funeral. It may be a selfish thought, but everyone is selfish as hell, and so was her mother when she married Rhett's dad. But what's insane is her feelings of lust towards her step brother. 

She would let it go
One day
When the moon glowed with unshed tears
And the world was a different place

Faye's lifestyle as a young hooker addicted to cocaine isn't something that an ordinary reader can actually relate to, but then again, movies about similar situations -- drugs, rape, murder --  in the end, most of us still feel a slight connection to them, because we feel empathic. Now, don't get me wrong. A terrible heroine is a terrible heroine. And Faye is a terrible heroine who won't help herself and would rather continue living her destructive life because she thinks she deserves it. But reading about her, and connecting the dots from her past life to what she has become, was an absolute eye opener and definitely made so much sense. 

The woman in the mirror is me. And I despise her. I hated her.

I was some sort of poision. It was in my blood. It had to be. 

But as much as Faye is the epitome of pure insanity, Rhett is almost no different. These two are almost wired equally the same, with his lust towards Faye even when he has a girlfriend and also the fact that she's his stepsister. He's got his own twisted mind where he feels he's so much better than everyone, when clearly, he just turns a blind eye on everything. He was such a frustrating character to read. All this time, I wanted to shake him and yell, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? DO YOU NOT SEE THE SIGNS OR ARE YOU JUST BLIND AS HELL?"

"You disgust me."

"You're nineteen years old and you've probably had sex with more men than the number of times I've taken a shit in my lifetime. You're a homeless prostitute. There isn't anything else to know."

These reads are just purely dysfunctional and excruciatingly beautiful. This author has literally placed every single bit of derangement and insanity in the form of characters that are just so terrifying because of the fact that these can actually be possible in real life. You know when they say that some books influence people, not in the direct way, but kind of like in a similar manner? This is it. These reads got me craving for the next books, just like how Faye craves her cocaine. It's a desparate need. This was pure hysteria, the books kept getting better and better, with more higher levels of insanity that just kept popping up,  even I wanted to pull my hair out and throw a terrifying tantrum (Just kidding... No, seriously). 

She would run from darkness
Into more of the same
She would run to darkness
She could never stay away

Everything about this book is haunting, and it's like walking into a dark lair, without remorse and fear that you'll never come out alive and whole, but instead the need to go further deep kicks in, and the need to drop a trail of crumbs, not for my the sake of my return, but for the next reader to come join me in this madness. So, are you willing to come join me?

Happy Halloween, Mischievous Readers!

5 comments

  1. Hats off to you for pulling off the mini reviews, I struggled trying not to spoil anyone lmao. I can't wait for book 4, we have to buddy read that since we haven't had one in so long! I love the banner btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you hadn't told me about this book, I might not even have read it, OMG. It's a struggle, lol. I wanted to talk about lots of stuff but I didn't want to spoil. I just saw the cover of book 4 and it. Is. Gorgeous!!! I'm about to read your review now. :D

      Delete
    2. Yes the cover is just everything! All of her covers are pretty amazing actually. I just responded to your comment!

      Delete
  2. I saw the reviews of these books on her blog, so when I saw them pop up on my Bloglovin feed from you, I wanted to hear a second opinion! I am glad you enjoyed them just as much as she did, and look forward to trying these out myself. I haven't read many books about prostitution, but I am actually reading one about it right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a mix of prostitution and drug addiction, and lots and lots of crazy dysfunction. If you don't mind reading such, you should check it out! Definitely worth the read. :D

      Delete

Thank you, Mischievous Readers, for taking the time to read my post/review, and I would be so glad to know about your thoughts, so please leave me a comment, I'll surely reply!

(Oh, and it's best you click the NOTIFY ME check box to receive a notification once I reply to your comment)