15 March 2015

BOOK REVIEW: One Real Man by Coleen Kwan

One Real Man (Real Men #3)
by Coleen Kwan (Goodreads, Website, Twitter)
Published by Entangled: Bliss on February 9th, 2015
Genres: Contemporary, Romance
Format: eARC (257 Pages)
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
Amazon | Barnes & Noble



Amidst an ugly divorce and an even uglier scandal, Paige Kerrigan has returned to her parents' estate to hide out until things blow over. While she's enjoying a late-night naked swim, however, she's shocked to find Owen Bellamy— her family's former cute pool boy—standing poolside. Now he's all hot, grown up, and renting the Kerrigan property…and he's definitely not forgiven Paige for how she used to treat him.

Once, the beautiful but spoiled Paige Kerrigan was everything Owen wanted. Now she's broke and Owen finally has his revenge...by offering her a place to stay as his housekeeper. Yet Paige isn't the person he remembers. Instead, she's far more than he imagined, and far more irresistible than is safe. But the last thing Owen can afford is to give his heart to the same woman who once broke it.


This is my first Coleen Kwan novel, and despite reading the third book from the series without having read the previous ones, this didn't confuse me at all. There was enough back story included in this book that it can be read as standalone. 

The concept to this book was just so different from what I've always read. It's usually, rich guy meets poor sweet girl, and she turns into a Cinderella -- from rags to riches. How about a turn around? When Cinderella was the favorite daughter before her father remarried? Stuck up, spoiled princess turned broken maid. 

Owen Bellamy, former pool boy of the Kerrigan household, has never let go of the angst and hatred for the Kerrigans and their fellow fancy elite "friends". And now, after all those years, he's become the temporary owner of the said mansion and the pool he used to clean. Everything seemed fine and dandy, until his childhood dilemma appeared right when he least expected it. 

Paige Kerrigan returns home after being broken by a nasty scandal that ruined her marriage, her career and almost everything in her life. But the downside is, it's not her home anymore, and the pool boy her family and friends had somewhat "mistreated" during her childhood days, is now the owner of her house. To make things worse in her case, Owen offers her a housekeeping job and a residence at the employee's quarters at the back of the mansion. Let's just say the cottage isn't mean for a classy girl like Paige. 

Owen wants to get back at Paige for all the things she and her family had done when he was young, and now, he's got her wrapped around his finger. My, how the tables have turned. 

Everything about this book was just complicated and angsty. My feelings for this book were just all over the place. One minute I love it, the next I'm frustrated. Kwan creates characters that are absolutely realistic and very delicate. None of their actions ever felt forced; the drama perfect and heart clenching. But amidst all the drama, a sweet romance between two enemies turned lovers bloomed althroughout the book. 

One Real Man is a book that will make you want to clutch your heart, and feel loved at the same time. If you're looking for a sweet romance read, with a little mix of "I can't be with you, because we're both so different" drama, then this is definitely right up your alley.

8 comments:

  1. Oh how I love a good plot twist! I actually was going to request this because the synopsis was pretty intriguing, but as you know, I'm sooo bogged down now as it is. I miss out on all the good shit it seems lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is really cute, girl. A little fluff for a change. ;D

      Delete
  2. I'm loving the "all grown up pool boy" angle! Sounds like a fun read! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Hopefully you get the time to pick it up! Thanks for stopping by, Grace!

      Delete
  3. I love how things switched around... karma beeeyoootch. Apparently I'm enjoying angst this month... I'm gonna have to check this series out! I totally like I love these Entangled Bliss series'.. Can't wait to hear what you think of the first two books in the series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? But I felt bad for the girl too, and Owen was being such a bitter guy but it was reaaaaal good. :D I haven't read the other books yet but I will soon!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read that many sweet romances lately, I think I found the right novel for me<3 Thank you for sharing it & putting it under my radar :) <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did! xx

      Delete

Thank you, Mischievous Readers, for taking the time to read my post/review, and I would be so glad to know about your thoughts, so please leave me a comment, I'll surely reply!

(Oh, and it's best you click the NOTIFY ME check box to receive a notification once I reply to your comment)