TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books That Were Hard To Read for Various Reasons


So, it's been long since I actually did a TTT because I always end up missing it, I would literally remember it the next day. I guess, from my last TTT, I've missed at least two or three posts already. So today, I'm definitely not going to miss it!

Today's topic is "Books that were too hard to read for various reasons". Now, this is going to be a little tricky, because the category isn't exactly specific like, "books that were excruciatingly hard to read"? or "books that were so good that it was so hard to read because emotions everywhere"? So, I thought, well, okay... I'm going to do a combination of those.


Here we go:

1. Damned by Chuck Palahniuk. Okay, so I'm not very religious, I haven't been active much in church unlike how I used to be a couple of years ago, but I'm a believer. And I think it was the Catholic in me that was cringing the whole time when I read this book due to the content. In fact, I even said a silent prayer before buying it. It's just a book, I know. *cowers away in a corner* Don't judge me.


Although it actually is a very humorous read. Highly recommended, go read it, guys.


2. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. This book. I had to put it down for a couple of moments just because- no words. It was just excruciatingly beautiful. 


3. Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover. Started as a read along with a couple of book bloggers. This book ruined me. Constant deep breaths were taken. I just recently wrote a review too! Check it out here.


4. 2B or Not 2B? by Stephanie Witter. This was definitely a frustrating read. It had a really promising plot but I was shaking my head for most of the time. I also wrote a review about it! Check it here.


5. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I know, I know, this book ruined almost everyone, some even cried during the movie. But when I read this book, I literally bawled my eyes out, I had to go out for a walk in the middle of the night to the nearest 7/11 and buy a bag of Ruffles to make me feel better. 


6. Psy-Changeling Series by Nalini Singh. This series is an exceptional one. Only problem is, it's too long! (Indecisive readers that want every character to have their own story, then complain when the series get too long. Yup, that's me.) So far, there are 13 books and counting... and a tidbit from the author, the series is not even close to done.


7. House of Night Series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast. The series started out great, I loved Zoe, I loved the vampyres and the fledglings, I loved the marks, to the point that I'd photoshop then on pictures to create my dream cast (if ever it would be made into a movie)... then when book 5 came, it started getting dragging. I started to hate Zoe. The series suddenly went from WOAHHHHH to WOT. Total downfall. 


8. Bel Canto by Ann Patchet. This was a great read... it's just that it's set in the 19th-2oth century, hence, my troubles in relating to the story. I've never been a big fan of reading historical novels, despite its interesting choice of language and statements. I actually had to go to the internet and do  research in order to understand a couple of stuff mentioned.


9. Moby Dick by Herman Melville. So I read the classic itself, not some adaptation and widely translated version. It was a requirement for school. AND IT WAS THE MOST BORING BOOK I'VE EVER READ. For me, it was the wrong book to read in school because it just didn't do things for me. Perhaps it's the writing style, or the language used, or the huge thickness of the book with matching minute font size. 


10. Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk. One of my favorites. But definitely messed me in the head. Yup. Leave it to Chuck Palahniuk to ruin your proper perception towards life. He will turn you inside out. 


Well! There you have it! My top ten! I just realized that lists can actually get very exhausting, because this almost drained me. Well, what's on your list? Comment it below!


11 comments:

  1. I am so on the same page with the House of Night series. I binge read the first three or four books early on when that's all there was... and as I continued the series I slowly couldn't handle the crazy anymore.

    Great list!
    Chelsea @ Books Turn Brains

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! OMG yes right? It was like a series that was never going to end! But I still got all the books for collection purposes. The covers are pretty. ;D

      Delete
  2. Man I've been wanting to read the Bell Jar for sooo longgg. I really need to hurry up and read it because It's been reccommended to me so many times! I also want to read some of Chuck's work, even though I've heard mixed reviews about his writing. Which one do you suggest I start with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl! Bell Jar is good. Like soooo good. And with Chuck Palahniuk's, The Fight Club would be a great start! :D There are lots of mixed reviews about his work because he talks about controversial material, so basically almost like half of the world is against him lol

      Delete
    2. I've noticed! Alot of people like Fight Club so I'm going to start with that. I need the Bell Jar in my life, heard it was kinda dysfunctional, and you know how I feel about dysfunctional.

      Delete
  3. I am with you on the Fault in Our Stars - I sobbed! I think Ellen Hopkin's Tricks was the hardest book for me to read - tough subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue! I haven't read any works by Ellen Hopkins yet, but I'll be sure to check them out. But I've seen them in stores. :)

      Delete
  4. I love the Psy-Changeling series but after a few books I always have to stop reading. Until now I read only seven books from the series but unfortunately I'm not that interested in the others besides Hawke's of course. BTW, I'm totally the same, I want every character to have their own book and then start to complain when it happens, nothing's good enough for me haha.
    Same with the House of the Night series too! I bought a lot of books but well Zoey started to really get on my nerves after a while plus it was a little unrealistic that all the guys were all over her even after she kept throwing them around.
    I really want to read Ugly Love and The Bell Jar, my friend has read The Bell Jar and she loved it so I can't wait! Lovely list.
    My TTT: http://reading-is-dreaming-with-open-eyes.blogspot.hu/2014/09/top-ten-books-that-were-hard-for-me-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! I'm currently on book 3 on the Psy-Changeling series, and my best friend's nagging me to continue on. I'm excited to read about Hawke and Sienna so I really want to get to his part, but it's just too long so I don't go on to the next book when I've finished one. Reading this is sure going to take time.

      Zoey was getting all the boys in HoN, it was frustrating. You really should read Ugly Love and The Bell Jar! Highly recommended! :D

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with your opinion on the House of Night Series. I binge read the entire 11 books, but by the sixth one.. I hated Zoey and thought she was a complete indecisive slut lol I will definitely read the 12th book coming out this month, but only because I hate loose ends. I need closure, and I swear- if she doesn't pick one guy and stick with it, I will never read another Cast novel again! haha I couldn't agree with you more on your list.. great job lady (:
    Morrighan @ http://ufbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just kept buying the books for the pretty covers, and in hopes that I might have the time to reread and like them again. I soooo agree with Zoey being an indecisive slut omg She just went through all the guys, I sometimes think that she might not even choose one lol

      Delete

Thank you, Mischievous Readers, for taking the time to read my post/review, and I would be so glad to know about your thoughts, so please leave me a comment, I'll surely reply!

(Oh, and it's best you click the NOTIFY ME check box to receive a notification once I reply to your comment)