07 August 2014

ARC BOOK REVIEW - Her Special Forces by Sophia Roslyn

Her Special Forces
by Sophia Roslyn
Published by Entangled: Ignite on August 4th, 2014
Genres: Romance, Suspense
Format: eARC
Source: Publisher
Amazon | Barnes & Noble



Retired Marine Viper helo pilot and ground cover expert, Kacey O’Donnell is called out of retirement for a special assignment: to assist in extracting the kidnapped daughter of a U.S. Senator, after an FBI team is betrayed and taken out.

Former SEAL hero Nathan Weatherly looks forward to his new job as Deputy Sheriff in the small, quiet Normal Rockwell town where Kacey grew up. The former lovers have a history she has no desire to revisit, and a dark secret she refuses to share.

With a young girl’s life at stake, Kacey helps pull Nathan’s team together for one last assignment. But, she finds it next to impossible to work with Nathan again—especially when she knows he wants so much more, and she has so much to hide.

***ARC courtesy of Entangled Publishing in exchange for honest review

This is the first Sophia Roslyn book I've read, also the first Ignite book I've come across from Entangled. I'm not much of a fan of military romance, but I'm a big fan of badass couples, so the synopsis intrigued me a little bit, since the characters are a marine and a seal.

But then, upon reading the first few pages, I just thought-- Man, this book is dragging. It was just blah. Kacey O'Donnell, a 'retired' Marine Viper helo pilot finds herself face to face with her former lover, Nathan Weatherly who is a former SEAL - He's in her town as the new deputy sheriff and he's determined to get her back. But she won't let him, or so she says...


As I had expected badass couples, I did not enjoy the characters much. Kacey, no matter how badass she is and as much as I love redheads, she isn't exactly a lovable character. She's hardheaded, stubborn and a total pain in the ass. Her character gets somewhat annoying within the push and pull game she plays with Nathan. She hates him, she hates him not. Make up your mind girl? 


Meanwhile, Nathan Weatherly...He's every girl's dream, the guy who will take care of you, watch over you and fend for you. He knows he's ready for a life with Kacey and he's ready to help her no matter what, despite his former lifestyle, being all hard edged and protective. His conviction that Kacey really is the love of his life is definitely what made me like him.


But Kacey's an independent bitch, despite her personal problems including her PTSD, and she thinks she doesn't need a sweetheart like Nathan in her life. 


But the whole plot, it seemed that everything just revolved around them. A senator's eleven year old daughter was kidnapped, a ten million dollar ransom, an FBI team wiped out and now it's up to Kacey, Nathan and his former troops to rescue her. It's action packed and quite thrilling, but everything still revolved around Kacey and Nathan's relationship angst. 


What bothered me was the child, Gemma. She's eleven, or rather "turning twelve". And she can drive because she's "too tall for her age". In fact, her character is nothing close to realistic. I don't have against kids who can drive, but the fact that she did not feel any terror or fright upon being kidnapped was not normal at all. Sure, she hates her dad, and as if she doesn't give a care about the slightest mention of her dad, but a normal kid would definitely look for and need home. 


However, despite her character's unrealistic manner, she sure intrigued me, and I'm hoping to read an upcoming series about her all grown up.


Another thing that bothered me about the book was the language used to write it. At one point, I thought I was reading a medieval/historic romance novel. Then there's the mention of WiFi and TV cable, then I suddenly remember that I'm supposed to be reading a book set on the 21st century. 
This book was just not my cup of tea.