Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon - "You're not living if you're not regretting."

09 September 2016

Everything, Everything
by Nicola Yoon (Goodreads, Twitter, Website)
Published by Delacorte Press on September 1st, 2015
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository

ADD TO GOODREADS

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

I'm a very picky reader, and it's not everyday I come across a book I absolutely adore... and if I do, I celebrate it. Stumbling upon Everything Everything was unexpected. It was a boring day, waiting in line to catch a ride to get home. I've got to say, boredom has its perks sometimes...and it lead me to my new favourite novel.


Everything's a risk. Not doing anything is a risk. It's up to you.

An Unexpected Gem. 


Nicola Yoon's striking YA novel is an emotional roller coaster which focuses on weighing wants and needs—in a critical ordeal. Everything, Everything follows teenager Madeline 'Maddy', holed up in a very well protected home with a rare disease called SCID (thank you, Google), which makes her allergic to practically everything. She's grown up homeschooled, with a private nurse and completely unaware of the outside world. It's like a modern tale of Rapunzel, only our princess is struck with a severe disease.

Madeline just turned 18 and for the first time, she's struck with cupid's deadly teenage crush; her new next door neighbour, Olly. The more she sees him through the window from her room, the more she wants to get to know him. But she can't leave the house and strict measures are to be followed before anyone gets to enter her sterilised home. Soon, she's breaking the rules just to have a glimpse of what if feels like to be a teenager in love and alive.

It's all about the #YOLO


Nicola Yoon takes the meaning of 'selfishness' to a whole different level, especially with Maddy. Her wants are not materialistic. All she wants is to live. She wants to fall in love, see the world, go to school, make friends. Maddy lives in an unfair life and there's nothing she can do about it. Yoon's ingenuity makes you relate to Maddy through a variety of things. There's always going to be an intangible want in your soul for something you feel you can never have.

For the first time in a long time, I want more than I have.

I applaud Yoon for writing a very realistic character in Maddy. She's a strong and courageous person, in spite of her illness, which made me feel empathetic towards her at the very beginning. She made the worst decisions, just for the sake of living. Also, fun fact: Maddy's half African-American and Japanese! How cool is that? And let's not forget the boy she falls in love with: Olly. Good lord, what a charmer. Although, there's more to him than just the cute boy next door who's a total daredevil. He's got his own issues, but with Maddy, it's like they never existed.

Maddy and Olly are just so precious together. Yoon is definitely in my good books for writing a beautiful romance in this powerful novel. Also, can I just say how much I love Yoon for bravely incorporating sex into this beautiful novel. MASSIVE APPLAUSE. Don't be irked, it's nothing explicit. Really.

The plot is very fast-paced with intriguing chapters. A few of Yoon's chapters are written in a combination of Maddy's diary entries, illustrations, as well as cute and flirty texts between her and Olly. Her illness wasn't the focal point of the story, as this is a romance story and there is a concrete reason behind why it wasn't entirely explained in the novel.

Wait, a MOVIE?!


YES! Everything, Everything is being turned into a movie by MGM! But of course, you guys should've known about this already. Except for me. The upcoming teen YA novel adaption is set to be directed by Stella Meghie, starring Hunger Games' Amandla Stenberg and The 5th Wave's Nick Robinson as Maddy and Olly! Filming just began last week, so this movie is probably going to hit the theatres by 2017!

Movie updates can be found on Nicola Yoon's instagram! Go give her a follow!

A photo posted by Nicola Yoon (@nicolayoon) on

I'm really excited for this movie. This book turned my cold heart (hah!) into mush. Nicola Yoon is a genius, and I definitely can't wait to check out her new novel, The Sun Is Also a Star!

Read this book already? Let me know your thoughts! If you haven't, this book is highly recommended! (Take it from a picky YA reader *wink*)

FOLLOW MISCHIEVOUS READS ON BLOGLOVIN

Follow